How will Brexit affect my holiday?

Travelling before 31 January 2020: the UK is still a member of the EU, which means that all existing travel arrangements still apply.

Travelling after 31 January 2020: if the Government agrees a deal before 31 January 2020, the UK will enter a transition period, meaning everything will continue to remain the same during that period and you can continue to travel as you do now.

If the UK does leave the EU without a deal, there will be some changes and you may need to take some actions in advance so that you can prepare or continue your holiday as planned.

Will flights still operate?

If a deal is agreed then we will be in a transition period, meaning everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal. Under existing contingency arrangements in a no-deal scenario the European Commission mentioned that UK airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU under contingency legislation. The UK Government has offered similar assurances for EU airlines.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

The European Parliament  has confirmed that UK travellers won’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit for short-term business or leisure trips, even if the UK leaves without a deal, the  UK citizens will be able to visit the EU for up to 90 days within a 180-day period without a visa.

Will I still be able to use my current passport?

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, British passport holders will need at least six months left on their passport. Note that the six months on your passport is only required if you are travelling after the date the UK leaves the EU.

For travel to Europe after Brexit, we strongly advise you to check your passport and renew it if necessary, please check the Government’s website .

Will the European Health Insurance Card still be valid?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid.

Please be sure you have appropriate travel insurance whether they have an EHIC card or not, and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions.

Will I be able to drive in the EU after Brexit?

As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This will change in a no-deal scenario for certain countries. Depending on your destination, and the length of your stay, UK licence holders looking to drive in the EU after 31 January 2020 may need to apply for an International Driving Permit.

There are a number of different permits available for different countries within the EU, so you should check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within, as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law.

The Government is also advising that you will need a GB sticker for your car when driving in the EU after Brexit.

Will I still be able to travel with my pet?

In the event of a no-deal, pets would continue to be able to travel from the UK to the EU, but the requirements for documents and health checks would change. If you wish to take your pet to the EU on or after 31 January 2020 pet owners would need to discuss preparations for their pet’s travel with an Official Veterinarian at least four months in advance of the date they wish to travel. Pet owners should keep an eye out for any further instructions issued by the UK Government.

Where can I find out more information and advice about travel after Brexit?

You can also keep yourself up-to-date by visiting: ABTA’s website ; the Government’s website or the European Commission website .

Regarding Cruises, you can see CLIA’s up-to-date Brexit information