Car rental in Cuba What car would you like to rent? We compare all companies, provide 24-hour service and offer free cancellation

FAQs about car rental

What type of insurance must I have to rent a car?
What do I need to drive a hired car outside my country?
Can I go on board of a ferry with a hired car?
Do I need to pay an extra charge if there is an additional driver?
Can I rent a car by the hour?
What's included in the car hire price?

When you hire a car, you need to take out insurance to cover you against any accidents or incidents that may occur during your rental agreement period. First find out if you are covered for using a hired car on any other insurance policy or agreement that you may have, such as your personal car insurance, home insurance, auto breakdown service membership or credit card. If you are, check that the cover is sufficient and that it includes your destination and type of car hired (if so, you don't need to contract another insurance with the car rental company). Please note that your travel insurance won't include cover for you when you're hiring a car.

Each car rental company has different insurance policies that will vary according to your destination, but are mainly the following:

CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) or LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) : these policies offer different levels of protection against damage, theft and losses to your car, but some parts of a car may not be covered. All rental cars must have some level of CDW/LDW cover. In some countries, basic CDW/LDW cover is included in your car rental agreement, while in others (e.g. the USA and Canada) it has to be purchased separately.

LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement): gives you extra cover for any accidents and incidents that may occur.

PEC (Personal Effects Coverage): covers belongings left in the hired car. Don't keep personal effects in the car, but if you have to, they should be stored out of sight in the boot.

PAI (Personal Accident Insurance): this will pay out in the event of injury or death.

ALI  (Additional Liability Insurance): This provides additional protection.

Super CDW and Super TP: these insurances completely waive or reduce the excess in case of damage to the rental car or theft of it.

Damage control or check-in: it's the check done to the vehicle once it's returned.

To drive in countries within the European Union,  a valid driving license is sufficent.

To be able to drive in countries outside the European Union, it is necessary to have an international driving license.

Most car rental companies do not let you board their vehicles onto a ferry because of issues related to insurance cover onboard the ship. Please check the terms and conditions of the rental company for further details.
Yes. For each additional driver, a surcharge must be paid at the destination, unless there is a special promotion allowing an additional driver to be included free of charge.

If there are additional drivers, they must also present their documentation (ID and a valid driving licence).
Nowadays, the minimum period to hire a car is of 24 hours. There is a courtesy margin of  30 to 60 minutes, depending on the car rental company.
The rental conditions and what's included in the cost, will generally be indicated when making the booking and on the confirmation. Only compulsory insurance policies will be included in the price.

What's not included in the price:
- additional insurances
- fuel
- cost for an extra driver
- accessories such as children's seat, snow chains...